How to Apply Your Wig
We have put together some tips on how to apply your wig.
Pin up your hair.
If your hair is long, separate the hair into two pieces, and twist. Cross the two pieces behind your head, and clip them across the top. This is an easy way to even your hair out on your head without a huge ponytail bulge. Shorter hair can simply be combed and clipped to the crown of the head, or placed into a bun at the base of your neck. You could also braid your hair before applying a wig.
Pin up any bangs.
If you have a fringe or side fringe and you cannot get a wig cap, you may find it helpful to wear a small hairband to keep hair from showing under your wig. Elastic ones are the best to use because they are more comfortable and are usually smaller.
Put on a wig cap.
Use a wig cap on any type of hair length to hold it all in and ensure a smooth fit. Even if you are bald, use a wig cap – it will help keep the wig on.
Put the wig on your head from front to back.
There are two tabs on each front/side of the wig. Position these right in front of your ears. Don’t worry if it doesn’t look perfect right away. Go ahead and style/brush it into place the way you’d like it to look.
If you’d like extra coverage, or to add something onto the look you are going for, you can use accessories, such as a jeweled headband if you’re dressing up as Cleopatra or Delilah, or a bow tied on the back of your head if you’re dressing up as a schoolgirl.
- If you are putting a wig on for the first time, allow enough time to adjust the wig before you need to leave for your event/party.
- You can make a wig cap out of regular women’s nylons.
- Don’t bend over and put your wig on upside down. You risk damaging any styling you’ve already done to it.
- If you’re wearing a lot of makeup with the wig, put on the makeup before the wig. Otherwise, it might get on the wig, or the wig could get in the way of putting the makeup on.
- Be sure to limit the styling and heat products you are using on your wig. Remember, you want it to last for a long time, so minimal use is best. In particular, be careful if it is synthetic hair.